Server Upgrade Fund...

Feel free to post whatever.

Should the Crazycraft community put together a fund to sponsor a server upgrade?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 10

Server Upgrade Fund...

Postby crazyscience » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:59 pm

TLDR: Skip to bottom section titled "The Proposal"

Many of you know this, but just in case, I, crazyscience, am in charge of the backend side of the crazycraft server. I'm not one for setting up plugins like blake and lion. I don't typically ban people or deal with ban appeals. To many of you, it may seem that I do just about nothing. And, to some extent, you'd be right. What I do do is far from entertaining. I'm the guy that makes sure that the actual hardware that the crazycraft server runs on is operational. I do the networking. I manage our IP space, our DNS records, memory allocation, storage strategy, and all the technical things that nobody else really cares about.

The Current Setup:
One of the cool things I get to do is work with our servers. The Crazycraft Minecraft server runs on a single machine. The web server (where the forums and web site are) are on another machine. The machine that runs crazycraft is this one:
ikinci_el_HP_Proliant_DL_580_G2_Sunucu__67212_zoom[1].jpg
HP DL580 G2
ikinci_el_HP_Proliant_DL_580_G2_Sunucu__67212_zoom[1].jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

The server has 4 dual core Intel Xeon Processors that run at 3GHz and 16GB of RAM. In order to get the necessary Input-Output Operations (IOPs) on the hard drives, we have teamed this server with an HP Smart Array MSA500. Here is what it looks like:
$(KGrHqR,!hgE7kHYOmH)BPV7zhbdBQ~~60_35[1].JPG
HP Smart Array MSA500
$(KGrHqR,!hgE7kHYOmH)BPV7zhbdBQ~~60_35[1].JPG (15.05 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

This SAN array is connected to the server via a fiber optic cable and can provide read/write speeds of up to 2GBps. More importantly, the number of operations that the array can handle each second is much higher than the built in hard drives on the server itself.

The Problem:
This setup was great in it's day, but today, it's a bit outdated and we all see the results of this in the gameplay itself: the lag. The minecraft server core does not support multi-core operations. So, even though the server has 8 cores, it doesn't really do much for us because the server software itself doesn't support this. So, what it comes down to is the number of threads that each core can handle individually. Now, I'd have to look up the numbers to be certain, but I believe that the processors in this server run with about 6 threads/core. Newer servers can run with 64 threads/core, but our target is a server that runs with about 12 or so. The crazycraft server runs across 59 threads (last time I checked) so ideally, we would run at probably about half of that (considering that these threads aren't always taking up processor time).

The Solution:
A newer server with SAS hard drives and a higher thread/core ration would decrease lag, reduce power consumption, and reduce rack space to 1/8th of what it is today. The server that I propose purchasing is the HP DL360 G5:
DL360G5-XEON30X2-1R-unit[1].jpg
HP DL360 G5
DL360G5-XEON30X2-1R-unit[1].jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

This server would be able to do everything that our current server can do and more. It would take up 1/8th the space of the combined space of our current server and SAN array. It would allow for us to expand to a server with 50+ players with minimal lag. It will take about 3 Amps of power instead of the 13 Amps that our current setup takes ($30/month for electricity instead of $130). The newer server will also support linux better allowing us to run without the overhead caused by the Windows OS.

The Proposal:
I propose that together, we put together a fund to sponsor this server upgrade. The amount needed would be about $600. This cost would include hard drives, memory, and the server itself.
-crazyscience
crazyscience

Re: Server Upgrade Fund...

Postby blakethepatton » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:12 pm

You have my Sword.
blakethepatton

Postby crazyscience » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:50 pm

blakethepatton wrote:You have my Sword.

lol. ok random!
-crazyscience
crazyscience

Postby crazyscience » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 pm

lol.ok looked it up. get it now!
-crazyscience
crazyscience

Postby lionbandgeek92 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:07 am

And my axe!
My-axe.jpg
My-axe.jpg (83.5 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
lionbandgeek92

Postby crazyscience » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm

lionbandgeek92 wrote:

And my axe!

And my Hax!
-crazyscience
crazyscience

Postby lionbandgeek92 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:26 am

crazyscience wrote:And my Hax!

no you have to say "and my bow" cuz you are a fag like that elf guy... :twisted:
lionbandgeek92

Postby crazyscience » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:22 pm

lionbandgeek92 wrote:
crazyscience wrote:And my Hax!

no you have to say "and my bow" cuz you are a fag like that elf guy... :twisted:

I don't get it...
-crazyscience
crazyscience

Postby crazyscience » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 pm

-crazyscience
crazyscience

Return to General Topics